27 July 2010

Rain, Rain, go AWAY!

Back in Alaska. The temperatures are much cooler. Work awaits us each day. Dorinda is no longer here. Wes is drawn but adjusting. I am back to teaching Primary, Valiant 9. The kids have already been baptized. We are studying the Old Testament also. Life goes on. And it rains and rains here this summer.

Brian and David finished going through the boxes in the basement from China. They found the Vietnamese dresses I had bought and sent two to Abby that they thought would fit her. Abby liked them but thought they were too big. Waiting still to find out how they fit. They also found KT's China dinner plates that had been missing from her China service. She is happy! They were in with a quilt and "other junk". Then David and Brian moved to the garage and unpacked our Norske boxes. And found Elizabeth's silver in a box that said Elizabeth's silver all over it! I did not think I had the mover's pack it up! Dangerous!! Especially with all the boxes that were damaged or lost on their way to AK. Although Elizabeth had already packed it and was heading out the door back to AZ, David called me to make sure she could take it... What was lost has been found and is returned to their rightful owners. According to David and Brian, the Chinese packed a lot of paper. They were surprised that the boxes were full of paper and there weren't that many things (except even I agree there are lots of quilts). Now the Norway stuff didn't have as much paper and things (glassware) was broken. The paper does make a difference.

Our garden pots are blooming. The broccoli needs picking. You can see the tomato plant but probably won't get any tomatoes off of it as it is still too small. I miss having lettuce like we had last year. The cauliflower/broccoli plants are beginning to flower so I think we should have picked them last week.

The cat still likes us and sleeps on us. My company had its annual picnic the 17th of July and it went over well. Kent and I helped set up, cook, played with kids and helped to clean up. And it was the last sunny day. I think Abby would find it cold here too.

One day (two weeks ago?) Kent received an office-wide e-mail: The sun is shining. Everyone is dismissed at 2:00 to go enjoy the sun.

One of my co-workers is retiring at the end of the month. I'm wishing we could retire too and go back to Idaho... I like working but I like being in ID... I like wandering the hills of home and wonder when the sun will come out again... And in case your wondering, Kent is still happy I'm alive. After I got the baseball bats and balls for the grandkids, he wished I'd gotten a t-ball stand. I had. And he was happy! Wonders will never cease.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates Mom!!!! Now.. to get those pictures off your camera so I can have some too :) We'll pray that "Mr. Sun" comes out to play more often for you guys this summer. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to read your update. You might get tomatoes with still some long days left of northern sun (between rain showers). Good to see you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your update. I should update too - later.

    ReplyDelete