27 June 2009

She came back

I believe the moose came back yesterday while we were at work. How do I know? No, there were no moose hoof prints or scat around BUT my kohlrabi leaves have been eaten. They look like they were munched on by something BIG and I haven't seen a horse or a cow around. Luckily for us, the kohlrabi is a root vegetable so if she's going to eat something from our garden, it's the thing to eat. Plus, I thought I was buying broccoli not kohlrabi...as they have the same looking leaves. If you are wondering about kohlrabi, look it up. It's the sputnik-look vegetable. As long as she leaves the tomatoes and herbs alone I'm okay with "feeding her." She did leave our lettuce and flowers alone. BUT I really would prefer for her to eat while I'm at the house with my camera pointed at her. You gotta love Alaska! So if you're wandering our way, come on by.

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember before we moved to Crest, your father carefully rototilled the back slope with irrigation lines feeding down the hill. We planted a wide variety of vegetables. The rabbits ate all but the tomatoes. Someone dug up the tomatoes. No wonder your father next specialized in fruit trees.
    Mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the moose found something you are both content for him to feed on. It would be fun to watch him eat. I would like to catch the deer grazing in our neighborhood. I've seen scat, hoof prints and two of them in our neighbor's yard. I am about resigned that I'm growing geraniums for deer food. The "smart" animals eat the blosssoms but don't touch the leaves - that way the plant can provide them more food. If I have to sacrifice my plants I'd at least like to see them and get pictorial evidence.

    ReplyDelete